- 1 whole chicken
- 1 onion peeled and root trimmed
- 1 tablespoon of peppercorns
- 4 carrots peeled and sliced
- 4 parsnips peeled and sliced
- 4 stalks of celery sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 3 tablespoons of salt
- 1 pkg of gluten free noodles or rice
- Place chicken and whole onion into the bottom of a large pot. Pour enough water over the chicken to cover completely. Put peppercorns in a metal tea ball; add to the pot.
- Bring water to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook at a simmer until the chicken until no longer pink and is falling off the bone, 40 to 60 minutes. An instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh, near the bone should read 165 degrees.
- Remove chicken from the broth with a slotted spoon to a bowl; set aside to cool.
- Remove the onion and give it a squeeze to get as much of the flavor as possible. Discard the onion.
- Stir carrots, parsnips, and celery and salt into the broth; bring to a boil and cook vegetables until tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Remove and discard peppercorns.
- Remove meat from chicken and discard bones. Cut meat into bite-size chunks and stir into vegetable mixture with parsley. Season with salt.
- Cook either gluten free noodles or rice separately.